Monday, November 23, 2009

Keeping us Informed

When I went home at the weekend there was a flyer posted through our door. I live in Portchester and for at least a year now people within our community have been complaining about the smell from a local farm. It was to say the very least unpleasant and hit you everytime you walked out of your front door. I personally never knew what it was and just assumed it was a local farm.
Our Environment Agency has now given us information about what the farm actually does and how long it will be continuing. It is in fact the Downend Composting Site, which takes the green waste from our houses, shreds the waste then forms it into rows where the composting process begins. The end product is soil which is rich in nutrients and is peat free. The site will close in December 2010 and all composting operations will end.
Now I am aware of why the odour is being produced I am more accepting to the smell as I know the process is going to benefit the environment and no doubt us at some point.
I do think however that the local goverment and Environmental Agency need to inform us of things happening within our community as this will prevent a lot of complaints from citizens and we will be more accepting.

No comments:

Post a Comment